Saturday, November 9, 2013

Winter darkness and staying inspired


November through January are the darkest months in Sweden. I mean crazy dark. In Stockholm, around December 20th the sun is up for 6 hours and 3 minutes. This means 17 hours and 57 minutes of darkness. The sun goes up at 8:44am and down 2:47pm. I am just happy I don't live in Kiruna, in the northern part of Sweden where the sun doesn't go up at ALL between the 11th and 31st of December, we are talking total darkness.

These are the toughest training months for me, and I really have to find different ways to keep myself inspired. It's dark in the mornings, cause I am at work before the sun goes up, and its dark when I get home from work. It's a bit easier when we have snow, because the white snow lights up everything, and my surroundings aren't so damn sad anymore.

Just the other day, was the first time this year, that I really felt the impact of this total darkness. I had put my alarm clock on 6:am so I could be at the gym by 6:30am. I had 45 minutes of biking, followed by a 30 minute jog, so it was important to be there on time (I need to be at work no later than 9:00am) I got up, everyone else was sleeping and It felt like the middle of the night. It was awful at first, but it really is about my mindset. I made up my mind. If I am going to be an Ironman, I have to have a Ironman mindset. No pain, no gain. I know it sounds a bit superficial. But it works. I looked in the mirror, and I told Desiree "It isn't always going to be easy, and it isn't always going to be fun, but the reward will be worth it - It's the journey that counts, and the reward is a strong healthy body no matter what happens on the 17th of August next year (Ironman Kalmar)"  I smiled.... and I was gone. (It helps that I have a Ironman token around my neck and I never take it off, keeps me focused)

Tips:
Pack your bags the evening before.
Be mentally aware that you are going to be tired, but you'll be okey.
Remember your goal.

A little to quite and a little to dark for my taste


My orange bike, I love my bike, especially after one week in Rio (spent to much money), and I can´t afford my monthly bus ticket..:-D


Going fast


Taking pictures and biking at the same time. (Yes I am a women and can do 2 things at a time)


The empty spinning hall, just me, my music and program


A smile always helps everything


Stretching



Next week I will tell you about by swimming camp together with one of the worlds best female triathletes

Bye for now... :-D

No comments: