Saturday, January 18, 2014

Blacks have it in their blood


How many times have you heard the expression that "blacks have in their blood when It comes to dancing". Its like... most Swedes think that all blacks can dance, and most blacks can sing. Well its WRONG. Obviously... Either there is something wrong with the color of my skin or that expression is BS.

I can't sing, everyone who knows me, also know its the pure truth. On the other hand I have a white mom, so I am guessing its from her side of the family, on the other hand, there are quite a few family members on dads side that can´t sing either. But I have always seen myself as a pretty good dancer. Not that I am good at choreography, but I have always been able to hold my beat.... At least thats what I have always thought..

I have applied to become a spinning instructor at my gym. I love biking outdoors, and I love indoor biking as well. So I applied for the position to instruct 2 classes a week. Why not inspire others while I am working out anyway?

I went to a meeting in the beginning of december to get more information about the course and how to participate in the try-outs. (Important features are: Keep the beat, know your techniques well and that you have the ability to inspire others). We also had the opportunity to test, and the instructor would give us tips on what we needed to work on before the try-outs. Well I got on that bike an showed them that I had the time of my life. And It was fun. I was proud of my performance and I felt the feeling.... Damn .... I am pretty good! So I felt confident when it was time for my feedback.

I didn't believe my ears. She said, Desiree, you have to learn how to follow the beat of the music.......  Nooo....noooo.. nooo... I didn't hear that... That crazy women said I can't hold my beat? No one has ever told me that before. My stupid reply was "But I am black" She just looked at me. (She really didn't have a sense of humor either) But she said that before the try-outs try taking walks to the beat of the music, and do a lot of indoor cycling. Damn that was some real tough critic. First I just thought she was kinda crazy or that she didn't like me or something. See thats what happens when I don't want to admit that I suck in something. I find excuses....:-D. Well I did my homework, and I realized that I actually kind of suck in holding my pace, in biking, especially between songs and switching between siting and standing. Last friday, I thought it was great idea to do a class before the try-outs on Saturday, so I booked a morning class..... Hmmmm.... If I suck, the instructor of that class sucked even more. I should have guessed, since we only where 12 people booked in advance.... I did spinning to some hindi music. Keeping the beat to normal music isn't that easy, you should have seen me do the Hindi thang. The only thing going through my head was. This better be over soon. He is killing me. I hate this music. I suck.

Today was the big day. I went there, I did my best and I really tried to keep my beat. I am not sure how it went. I was much better than last time, but I am not sure if I was good enough. We started out with a 40 minute class to test our endurance and techniques, and they said that they would correct us if we did something wrong. So I guess that part went well. And after that we had a 2x2 minute songs each that we instructed or piers, and of course.. I got the worst song ever... Maybe not the worst.. well one girl got "I can Boogie" with Baccara, if they had given me that song.... I would have left. Damn.... I hate Baccara, I may not be-able to keep my beat, but Baccara sure can't sing.

Keep your fingers crossed, on Monday I will know if I make it to the final round.

My dear husband fixing the car so he could drive me this morning


This is where the try-out where held. One of the best gyms for spinning. F&S Hagastan


28 participants and 12 instructors today. We had them eyes on us


I am always on of the first. Hate being late or stressed




No comments: