Friday, September 20, 2013

Learning how to enjoy something you hate

Honestly, if anyone had told me for 3 years ago that I would become a triathlete, my response would have been a big old laugh. Yeah right. Not a chance in this life. Not that I had any clue of what it meant to be a Triathlete but I definitely knew that this queen doesn't swim. Well I knew how to float and get around in water, but I hate outdoor cold water, and the few times I had been at the pool every swimmer has passed me in what felt like the speed of light. When Madde convinced me to go with her on our first trip to Mallorca I decided that I would participate in jogging and bike training but skip swimming. My boss told me, Desiree If you are going all the way to Mallorca to participate in a Triathlon camp, you might as well do it properly. Buy a swimsuit and some glasses....  Said and done.

On our first day of swim training in Mallorca, my coach's girlfriend, Ida decided to join us. She is the coolest. She liked swimming as much as I did(not), and she swam from one end of the pool to the other, got out of the water and walked back, and tweeted afterwards that she remembered why she never swam. I never confessed to this, but damn was I jealous of her. I wanted to get out of that damn pool too.  

I really didn't get the swim part, but I did fall in love with the thought of becoming a triathlete. So I had no other choice than to learn how to crawl. I tried on my own for several months but my coach and Madde recommended me to take swimming lessons, this was a brilliant idea. Last fall Annie Thorén, another amazing triathlete took us under her wings and taught us how to crawl. We were a  group of 5-6 people and the majority of us had the worst techniques ever. I know she laughed her ass off at times. I think we looked like elephants with fins or something. 

Since than I have trained swimming 2-3 times a week. Thought I was getting pretty good. One guy even asked me How I could swim so fast. My reply was, "If you think I swim fast, you really have a lot to work on" I do a lot, but I DO NOT swim fast..... :-D (He was probably just flirting anyway) Well I got my reality check this spring when I tried outdoor swimming in my wetsuit for the first time. I thought I was going to drown, I thought my husband was going to drown and my coach thought both of us were going to drown. I think I swam like 50 meter (felt really short) and than I gave up. Disappointed, upset and unsatisfied I told Björn(My husband), lets go back and do it again tomorrow. Said and done we went back to the ocean, got in our suits and completed 100 meter. It was a small step forward, but every step counts. Since than I have come a far way. I might not be the fastest swimmer but I can handle 2K in a wetsuit in cold water and this winter, training for Ironman focus will be on handling at least 4K in less than 2 hours. And I have learned to enjoy swimming... A small step for some, but a huge step for queen Blomberg.

Me and my wetsuit that my mom so generously gave me.


My first cap, glasses and swimsuit


Mr Björn getting ready for his first triathlon swim.


No comments: