Tuesday, September 24, 2013

To win, be last, feel like a champ!



My training program this week was planned to be out of this world. I really looked forward to the challenge but I ended up with a soar throat and a cold. I know... Rest is the only thing to do, but....  I won a spot to race with Abeba Aregawi World Champion, 1500 meters 2013.... so I threw all common sense out of the window and convinced myself that I felt great, I didn't have a soar throat yet, but I knew something was on the way.

So how did I get this fantastic opportunity? Well one of the most inspiring people I know, Jessica has a blog that I have followed, mainly to get a bit of her energy. She used to be my spinning instructor, and she is the type of person that gets the best out of you. She sees everyone, cares, and she makes you feel like you matter. Feel like a Champion. She really does take pride in everything she does.

She had a lottery on her blog, 3 people had the chance to race Aregawi, and you had to motivate why. Well my motivation was longer than the Bible, so either she gave up reading, or she knew I would stalk her until the bitter end if I didn't win. To be inspired by great people is one of the great things in life.

I won the lottery, came second last in the race, but felt like a champ afterwards. First we had a 1500m warmup and some runner charring before the big race. Than a 400m race. I was all fired up and ready to go. Bom! I ran, and I saw Aregawi for a split second and than she was gone... She is small to start with, but without my glasses on, all I could acknowledge was her bright jacket in the horizon. She didn't even use full power... :-D But It was fun, and I realized how fast these athletes are. FAST!!

However it was a great way to start a weekend, so Saturday morning my chummy Madde and I had a close to 3 hour bike ride. We didn´t go fast or get far, only 34 miles, but we had the chance to talk and enjoy the beautiful morning. I thought I was healthy, probably high on Jessica and Aregawi, but Sunday morning, I payed the price. Soar throat and a runny nose. Well I'll be okey soon and back on track. My coach got me thinking wisely. Sometimes it feels like he's the older one, not me... :-D

Aregawi and I


My ticket for the challenge, I was sooo exited my collegues almost threw me out of the office. they kept saying... Girl... shut-up!



Runner charring, looks easy but it isn't... but it's fun



You can see me in the far back, just started and Aregawi is GONE!


Jessica, beautiful Jessica




My all time favorite slogan... Just do it... NIKE 



No comments: