Sunday, December 1, 2013

Triathlon fun - Triathlon economics not so fun



No matter how I twist and turn dollars and cents, triathlon is an incredibly expensive sport to do. There are three different sports that require different skills and different equipment.

I am torn by theories that staying healthy and active doesn't have to be expensive. All you need to go out jogging is a pair of good running shoes and some comfortable clothes, an old bike to bike on or a swimsuit, googles and some water to swim. You can take walks and do sit-ups at home. It takes a lot of discipline but its doable.

When It comes to healthy eating, its the same thing. Yes veggies are expensive and so is good fish and meats. But I honestly believe that in the long run, if you skip sugars, snacks, candy, sodas, processed foods and eat smaller portions of healthy choices the cost of eating would be the same.

So what tears me up if the equation is so easy?...... Boring..... My gosh, How fun would life be if you couldn't enjoy a bag of potato chips now and then, red wine or some home-made bullar? Its fun to buy a good bike, comfy wet-suit or to attend training-camps/races and learn techniques from experts.

I think it also depends on what level yo want to do things. I often think about this cool girl that I met at Vätternrundan, a Swedish bike race that is 300K long (186 miles). She had this old bike that she borrowed from her mom, it had 3 gears. It took her 24 hours to complete the race. I had a 20 geared racer and it took me 12 hours and 20 minutes. But her performance was so much better than mine. That mental strength to bike 24 hours, on a bike she had to push up all the hills? Simply amazing. And she is proof that things can be done affordable if you choose to do it your way. I keep her in mind so I stick with reality, because I am never going to be a professional athlete but I do want to make a serious effort in doing the best I can. (Desiree does not need a TT-bike, triathlon bike)

However I do spend ALOT of money on my journey to becoming an Ironman. So how does this work for me? I see it as an investment in me and my health, and I skip other things like shopping and I don´t eat out often. And like all elite athletes I have a sponsor, probably the best sponsor in the whole wide world. My mom. She supports me, she follows all of my achievements, races, everything. I love knowing that she is interested. And now and then, she supports me financially with a little something that makes my journey easier or more fun. Thanks mom, your the best!

My beautiful mom (I think she like my coach too... :-)

Yesterday at the gym, started out with weight lifting


My husband getting in the groove


Saturday special 3 hour spinning with a bike movie, however we left after 1:40. We had a tight schedule yesterday. (Champagne date at 15:00 with one of my new beautiful friends, Christina) 


1 comment:

Tammy said...

Desiree, you should be very proud of all that you have accomplished. I always check out your FB posts to follow you on your Ironman journey, You inspire me!

Your childhood friend,
Tammy