Monday, April 28, 2014

Lübbenau Halv marathon


Lübbenau Galb Marathon a 22,2K race, not 21,1. 

Lubbenau, is one of the most fantastic towns ever. Its located in former East Germany and carrys alot of history. My dear friend Jana escaped East Germany at the age of 17, and didnt get to see her family again until the fall of the Berlin Wall. This town is definiatly different. No Wifi anywhere, people actually talk to each other, people leave theirs keys in their apartment doors, most apartments have their own gardens and few speak English. Its Germanys Venice, with channels everywhere.

I have been speaking German..... You should hear me....I suck.. Hahaha. Okey... Good enough to keep small conversations going and I understood a little. People honestly enjoy that I try. Another observation is that I was the only brown person around... Weird feeling. I mean ONLY.. 

Jana a dear friend and my travelcompany is an intelligent fun-loving women that I enjoy being around. I thank her from the bottom of my heart for sharing her home town, experience, family and  interesting history of how it was to live in East Germany. Janas mom has cooked the best meals and she is spoiling us rotten. I feel like 15 again. 

This part of the trip was fantastic..... So the part I really dont want to talk about... The race...

I started this season with my worst race ever. Awful. I knew I was kinda tired still after Mallorca Training camp, but everything else was good. Nice weather, 23 degree celcius, fantastic company, sunny and the surrounding are amazing. I slept well the night before and breakfast was really good. I started out confident and kept a pretty good pace. My first hour I did 11, 5K, and knew that if I kept my pace I would do great, really great. They had 4 energy stops, with cider, coke and loads of candy. No sportsdrinks. At stop 15k I decided to eat my powergel. Very stupid Idea, after about 5 minutes I felt nausia, then I threw up. Disgusting. Luckily I was carrying a water bottle. At 17 K my calves started cramping. Both. I was about to give up. I had to stop and stretch constantly. I slowed down to a 6 - 6:30 minute per K pace. However, I wanted that damn cucumber. So I had to just keep on going. Lübbennau is known for its cucumbers. My mind was set. However I feel kinda dissapointed and I know I have to do much better If Ironman is going to be a reality. At this moment I have the need to talk with my coach. My confidence got hurt, bad. Just feeling not good enough. My watch stopped at 1:59:06 when I passed 21.1 which is okej, but the feeling of my body not being good enough.... 

Next race is planned for Thursday, Vasby Duathlon.... Feels very distant at this moment.... However I am not giving up, never..... ever... All I need now is my coach and some positive energy

Getting all fired up


Its all about the cucumber, worked for me... Kept me going


Might be the flatest Marathon but 21 bridges with stairs and 6k stone paths was pretty tough


Flowers, birds, nature, clean, everywhere. We Swedes have LOTS to learn


Castle of Lübbenau



And a celebration Champagne.. If course...


This is the scenery... Just beautiful









No comments: